The only thing to remember about prayer is to begin where you are. (Thomas Merton)

Deep down in me I knowed it was a lie, and He knowed it. You can't pray a lie - I found that out. (Mark Twain)

If governments knew how subversive contemplative prayer is, they would ban it. (Desmond Tutu)

Pray as you can, not as you can't. (Father Ted King, Dean Emeritus of Cape Town)

So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray. (Mary Oliver)

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

It's a new day!

Here's a new template for this blog (chosen by our very own MadPriest! Can you tell?) and so I offer the following which has long inspired me:



I will love you more than me and more than yesterday,
if you can but prove to me you are the new day.
Send the sun in time for dawn,
let the birds all hail the morning;
love of life will urge me say,
"You are the new day."
When I lay me down at night knowing we must pay,
thoughts occur that this night might stay yesterday.
Thoughts that we, as humans small,
could slow worlds and end it all
lie around me where they fall, before the new day.
One more day when time is running out for everyone;
like a breath I knew would come
I reach for the new day.
Hope is my philosophy,
just needs days in which to be,
love of life means hope for me
borne on a new day.

- John David
~~~

3 comments:

  1. I love the quotes at the top !
    Blessings for your new venture.
    I look forward to more .

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite pieces! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Philomena. Obviously, they are favorites of mine.

    PseudoPiskie, years ago when I lived in the Washington, D.C. area, the classical music radio station, WGMS, began it's broadcast day each morning with this song performed by The King's Singers. I'm glad you like it too!

    ReplyDelete